SEND – Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

SEND – Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

What kinds of special educational needs does Shocklach Oviatt CE Primary School make provision for?

Shocklach Primary School is a fully inclusive school, which ensures that all pupils achieve their potential personally, emotionally and academically in all areas of the curriculum, regardless of their gender, ethnicity, social background, religion, sexual identity, physical ability or educational need.

How does Shocklach Oviatt CE Primary School identify and assess my child’s special Educational needs?

At different times in their school life, a child or young person may have a special educational need.  The Code of Practice 2014 defines Special Educational Needs as follows:

“A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special education provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:
1.    has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others the same age, or
2.    has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post‐16 institutions.”

At Shocklach we track children’s progress termly and identify children who are not making expected or better progress. Parents, carers and pupils are then invited to discuss and review the progress made and targets will be set.

Special educational needs or disabilities provision is provided in addition to quality first teaching, differentiation and a broad curriculum where all can succeed.  At Shocklach we recognise that the teacher in the classroom will make the biggest difference to children with additional educational needs, and that teachers can be well supported by additional interventions and programmes in groups or as individuals led by teaching assistants and other adults.

How does Shocklach Oviatt CE evaluate the effectiveness of provision for pupils with special educational needs?

Children identified as benefitting from additional support or interventions are monitored against the targets set and their progress is analysed termly against national expectations.  Pre and post intervention checks are carried out to ensure the impact is effective.

How does Shocklach Oviatt CE assess and review the progress of pupils with special educational needs?

Parent and pupils are invited to a termly progress meeting to review their child’s termly learning goals, where targets that have been set are reviewed and new targets are developed.  Children that have a statement or education, health and care plan [EHC plan] will also have an annual review to discuss their progress and ensure the objectives in the plan are appropriate.

What is Shocklach CE Primary’s approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

There are four main stages which children will be moved up and down depending on their achievements. Teachers will use the ‘Graduated Approach’ documentation and ‘The Companion’ to ensure they are meeting the needs of all pupils. When appropriate children will have termly learning goals which identify short term targets.  Planning is highly differentiated and small intervention groups may be used when appropriate.

How does Shocklach Oviatt CE Primary adapt the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with special educational needs?

The curriculum and teaching sequences are adapted to meet the needs of the individual.  The school takes all reasonable steps to modify/adapt the learning environment to meet the needs of the child.

What additional support is available for pupils with special educational needs?

Shocklach provides various interventions/support to meet the needs of the children.  Children who have a higher level of need will also have access to support from outside agencies.

How does Shocklach Oviatt CE Primary enable pupils with special educational needs to engage in the activities for school together with children who do not have special educational needs?

Shocklach is a fully inclusive school and children will be educated alongside their peers wherever this is appropriate.  Planning is highly differentiated so tasks are suitable for a range of learners.  Teaching assistants also support children in class.

What support is available for improving the emotional, mental and social development of children with special educational needs?

We recognise that pupils with SEND may well have emotional and social development needs that require support in school.
The emotional health and well-being of all our pupils is very important to us.
•    We have a robust safeguarding policy in place, we follow national guidelines.
•    The headteacher and all staff continually monitor the emotional health and well-being of all our pupils.
•    We are an anti-bullying school.

What training is provided for staff supporting children and young people with SEND?

All of our staff are qualified and have undertaken further professional development.  This includes strategies to promote cooperative and active learning and engagement. Ongoing professional development is key to ensuring all staff remain updated and skilled.

How is Shocklach Oviatt CE Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • The building is accessible.
  • The school is one level with easy access and double doors.
  • There are two disabled toilets, with changing facilities.
  • We ensure, wherever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

The Class teacher
Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinator know as necessary;
  • Developing personalised curriculum plans / Termly Learning Goals (TLGs), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once every term and planning for the next term.

The SENDCo – Mrs Eppi Jones
01829 250285
Responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy;
  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND);
  • Ensuring that you are
  1. i) involved in supporting your child’s learning,
    ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting,
    iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing;
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept;
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Headteacher – Mrs Davies
01829 250285
Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND;
  • The Headteacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met;
  • The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor – Mrs Peel mark FAO Mrs Helen Peel governor
Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school, who has special educational needs and/or disabilities.

What are the arrangements for consulting parents of children with special educational needs about, and involving such parents in, the education of their child?

Parents are actively encouraged to be partners in their child’s education through; informal discussions with the class teacher, SENDCO, telephone contact, home/school diaries, termly learning goal discussions, progress reviews and yearly written reports.

What are the arrangements for consulting young people with special educational needs about, and involving them in their education?

All children, regardless of SEND, are aware of their next steps.  Children who have additional needs have targets which are shared, discussed and worked upon with those members of staff who are providing additional support.  Children are also invited to progress meetings and to record their comments on the review of their termly learning goals.

What do I do if I have a concern about the school’s provision?

In the first instance we encourage you to contact your child’s class teacher.  If you still have concerns then please contact the headteacher.

In the unlikely event that your concern is not resolved then please contact our SEND Governor or Chair of Governors.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

We work closely with the following to support your child’s needs:
All Therapy services including Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech and Language Therapy.  Specialist services including Hearing impairment, Visual impairment, CAMHS and the educational Psychology services.

How do you prepare my child for joining your school or transferring to another school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

On joining Shocklach Oviatt CE Primary School, children will have the opportunity to visit prior to starting and will receive an induction pack with information about the school.  We will also contact their previous school to ensure we have all of the relevant information.

When the time comes for your child to move on we will liaise with the next school and organise transition visits.  We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. We will also make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

Where can I get further information about the services for my child?

The information in this report forms part of Cheshire West and Chester’s local offer which can be accessed at